Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lecture Today

So I went to a lecture-type faculty luncheon talk today that was offered by Peony Fhagen-Smith, a professor of psychology here at Wheaton. She gave an interesting lecture about the multiracial identity formation model. Its called the "MAREID" model and it is really new, they just are in the process. I really appreciate it cause they are trying to keep up with the changing social atmosphere towards mixed race and the psychological development of mixed race. I will put in the actual image of the model later when I can get my hands on a scanner. But overall, it was really interesting, if kind of boriign at times, just because she basically read off a piece of paper, it was not as engaging as it might have been. Some of it really seemed to ring true and some of it was over my head.

But in the end I was kind of upset at some fo the faculty's reactions. One woman said "I could have told you that just because of my family, and how I come from a multiracial family" and I was angry. She is supposed to be a faculty member, surely she understands the necessity for academia to create a more general model that she can identify with. I could have told Professor Fhagen-Smith some of that stuff too, but havng it at arms length with and attempt at removal of emotional bias is what science is all about. I was surprised she didn't understand that.

All-in-all it was a good experience and I learned a lot. I think I want to talk to Professor Fhagen Smith some other time about it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment