Sunday, April 26, 2009

Interacial marriage declines


So turns out that interracial marriage is declining... so much for how everyone thinks that multiracial marriage is going to be the cure-all for racism. The Washington Post made this article: Immigrants' Children Look Closer for Love. Its interesting, I have only skimmed it yet. I thought it was funny though - racialicious and angry asian man blogs both caught this one earlier. I actually did see it awhile ago, but I think I was too lazy to put it up. It almost makes me a little sad though, less mixed people? I think mixed people are the best ;) but you know, that's just me :)

This is an image from the article, with the girl saying that she realizes she prefers dating Asian men when she came into cultural clashes with others of different races.

Though I have to say I get where she is coming from, I have seen in my own parents' marriage (which is very happy!) different kinds of cultural clashes. I think, actually, my Dad, being the international one, had a hard time fitting into an all-white family here, while my mother had less of a problem because they lived here, around her family. But I am sure, that if she had to live around my Dad's family there would have been lots of problems. Not saying my Mother had it easy, just culturally things swayed her way in the end I think. I also think it is a mother thing, too, as mother's tend to be the cultural center a lot of times (not all of the time) for the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment