Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Awesome new vid I found...



So I just found this awesome video that came up on "related links" when looking at kip's interview (which I have seen before, but this one is new). I definitely agree with what they are all saying, although I have never been approached and asked "what are you", cause usually people assume I am white or at least that is what I figure because they don't say anything, and usually if I looked a different race, they would point it out. Its all because of the 'white is 'nothing'', and how its only when you are another race someone wants to point it out.

But I got to say that I really agree with the kid from Western Mass, its basically the same thing. He never felt like he had much link to his Chinese culture because his Dad wasn't really into it, and I think thats a thing I have, too. Also, the girl who talked about feeling special because she was half - that was the whole jump-off point for me. The issue was this since I was born: I feel really special and proud to be Chinese, but when the pride is continually thwarted by this silence I get from other people about me being Chinese, it hurts. It makes me want to throw away my white part (for her it was the Chinese part). Not that I want to look full Chinese, but I want people to think about it twice before they categorize me as white.

1 comment: