Wednesday, February 25, 2009

First one I got

Multiracial kids are caught between not existing at all -- with outdated forms that require them to check only one box for their identity -- and existing so far outside the percieved norm that people can't pass them by without commenting on their appearance

This was by Donna Jackson Nakazawa and I think it is really true, from what I found multiracial kids will tend to be asked "So... What are you?" all the time, or they, like me, looking one race or another (I tend to look white on most days) so people won't even ask before checking off "caucasian" on the form they are filling out for you (Stupid blood donation nurse woman! A story for another day). This comes from a larger article I found that was really good: Black/White/Other: "Helping Multiracial Kids Find Their Way" from Edutopia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment