Tuesday, November 3, 2009

interesting video

So this is an interesting little (and by little I mean looooong) video that a friend showed me. Its really interesting, I feel like its exaggerated though, this woman is interesting, her approach. And for trying to be "scientific" she doesn't hide that fact that this is also a very personal matter (I think it has a LOT to do with her daughter" but I haven't finished it yet, its still really interesting. This is the html: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/is-it-better-to-be-mixed-race/4od

So I finished it. I totally understand some parts of it - she REALLY liked the word homozygous, but really I have to say it had an underlying (and by underlying, again, I mean kind of obvious) message of how mixed race was seen as bad but now it will help your kids fight disease. I like the other scientists on the show, they were clear in talking about how its not genes as much as lifestyle, really, and downplayed the "mixed is better" phrase. The shooting of the movie is weird too, like, why are you talking to a Brazilian scientist on the steps? Why not in a lab or something? Like there are really staged interviews but overall it was interesting and I am glad I saw it. Not sure I would recommend it right away though.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! Please feel free to send us any news/info you find relating to the mixed community --- Check out our website, www.MixedChild.com

    ReplyDelete