Wednesday, January 20, 2010

random tangent

So I was writing the post above and got into a tangent, it went on way too long but I figured I would put it as a separate post.

There is an interesting experience with a friend of mine. She is fully Brazilian, born there, speaks Portugese and everything, goes back on vacations, is still close to family there. But she looks more white, like, you can tell from her hair, but otherwise she doesn't look stereotypical Brazilian like what is expected around here. She also has always been a perfect white suburbia child (just to clarify, love her, and have nothing against the white suburbia product, I'm maybe 75% of that make as well) but when I asked her what she id's as on census reports, she says "sometimes just white, sometimes Hispanic, I don't really know" I feel like a lot of mixed people are like that, but what is striking is that she is so Brazilian in so many other ways I long to be Asian, but she still says that. And you know, I think its a great deal cause she looks far more white than others so she has always felt mostly included in the white community.

That was the random thought, wanted to put it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment